Renew or die. This is the motto that prevails in the business world, where staying at the forefront of technology is a fundamental necessity to stay afloat in the face of increasingly robust competition. The SAP world is evolving rapidly, and to achieve this, it is necessary to stay up to date with the innovations that this ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system presents. In this regard, we should focus on one that is gaining more and more relevance. We are referring to SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP).
What is SAP BTP?
SAP BTP is a platform that integrates various SAP services in the cloud. It is a PaaS (Platform as a Service), in which the user subscribes to a service that provides SAP in the cloud as an alternative to the traditional model where a usage license is purchased to access the corresponding local SAP server (with the responsibility of maintaining and updating the server).
Components of SAP BTP
- Although SAP BTP offers a wide range of services, these can be grouped into 4 major blocks:
- Integration and Development of Functionalities: SAP BTP allows the integration of cloud-based applications, local applications, and processes, as well as the development of new applications.
- Smart Technologies: SAP BTP makes use of innovative technologies such as artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, or robotic process automation.
- Data Analysis: SAP BTP utilizes advanced technologies that enable the collection of large amounts of data from internal and external sources for subsequent analysis.
- Data Management: SAP BTP provides tools to make data management as efficient as possible, thereby optimizing one of the core assets of any company.
Benefits of SAP BTP
As a cloud-based platform, the use of SAP BTP offers several advantages over the traditional on-premises model:
- SAP takes care of software maintenance and updates, relieving the user of this task.
- High-level security, as it implements robust data protection and encryption functions, such as data-at-rest encryption and secure access controls.
- Extended software lifecycle, avoiding the issue of losing support from SAP in the near future. In fact, the end of maintenance for SAP R/3 is already set for 2027, and S/4HANA has a scheduled end date for 2040. SAP BTP helps circumvent these problems.
With all this in mind, we can appreciate the strong commitment that SAP is making to this platform. The dilemma now falls on the part of businesses, which must choose between clinging to tools that will become obsolete in a few years or embracing these kinds of innovations, taking a solid step towards the technological future.
SAP BTP offers a versatile and secure solution to boost business agility, efficiency, and analytical capabilities. By adopting this platform, organizations can take a confident step toward becoming an intelligent enterprise and prepare for the challenges of the future.